Flavorful everything bagel sandwiches are piled high with thinly sliced roast beef,sharp cheddar cheese, juicy tomato, and crisp lettuce.
A few years ago a New York Style bagel shop opened up across the street from our daughter’s preschool. They served fresh bagels stacked with thinly sliced deli meat, perfectly ripened tomatoes, sharp cheddar cheese, and crisp leafs of lettuce.
We enjoyed them with ice cold cans of Dr. Brown’s sodas and bags of Mrs. Vick’s chips.
Greenfield’s quickly became our favorite lunch spot. We would pick them up sandwich’s to bring to the park with our youngest or take them home to eat on the deck because they are the ideal picnic lunch.
My husband started picking up their sesame bagels by the dozen for breakfast sandwiches, croutons, or just as a good old fashioned bagel with cream cheese.
Then we realized instead of having one sandwich we could pick up a bunch of Everything Bagels and make then at home.
Now we make them to bring on road trips, picnics, and to the beach. Because bagels are firmer Everything Bagel Sandwiches are the perfect lunch to bring on the go. They don’t get squished or soggy in the cooler. Plus it is such a delicious sandwich nobody gets tired of have them!
Ingredients for Everything bagel sandwiches:
- Everything bagels or your favorite fresh bagel – One per person because nobody wants to share these! Sliced in half and toasted if desired. We do not toast ours if they were baked that day but will toast them after that.
- Roast beef thinly sliced – Whatever deli meat you like will work but we prefer thinly sliced london broil.
- Mayo – Could be your favorite condiment but we always recommend a generous smear of Duke’s mayo.
- Tomatoes – Thinly sliced and seasoned lightly with salt and pepper. You will need about two slices per sandwich. We prefer heirloom tomatoes for sandwiches because of their good slicing texture and balanced sweetness.
- Green leaf lettuce – Whatever your favorite crisp sandwich lettuce is works so we get whatever looks good that week. Fresh spinach also works great if you prefer.
- Cheese slices – We prefer a sharp cheddar cheese for this but any sliced cheese will work.
How to make Everything bagel Sandwiches
Generously smear bagel halves with mayonnaise or the condiment of your choice. We prefer mayo for this sandwich specifically Duke’s mayo because the higher yolk count makes it so rich the perfect pairing with roast beef.
Top the bagel bottom with 1/4 lb of roast beef, folding the slices to create that classic deli style height. Sprinkle salt and pepper lightly over the roast beef layer.
Top the roast beef with thin slices of tomato. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and fresh pepper lightly over the tomatoes. You want to season each layer of the sandwich as you go.
Add your lettuce on top of the tomato slices.
Top with slices of sharp cheddar cheese.
Place your bagel top gently in place over the cheese.
Using a serrated knife, slice your sandwich in half and enjoy! We like to enjoy them with cold ginger ale or root beer and kettle cooked chips. Your taste buds will thank you!
If you want a toasted perfectly golden brown bagel with melty cheese toast the bagel in the oven or toaster oven with a slice of cheese on the top half before constructing the bagel sandwich.
How to store bagels?
The best way to store fresh perfectly soft bagels is in a gallon size plastic bag with as little air as possible.
Keep strong flavors like Everything and onion separate from the other bagels because those flavors will over power everything else!
How to freeze bagels?
Store fresh bagels in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. If you pre-slice the bagels you can stick them straight in the toaster when you are ready to use them.
How to reheat frozen bagels?
There are two options for reheating frozen bagels.
- Pop frozen sliced bagels straight into the toaster.
- Thaw for at least 30 minutes and bake at 400 for 4-5 minutes.
How to soften hard bagels?
The best way to soften hard bagels is to wrap them in a damp paper towel and microwave them for 30 seconds until softened.
Grocery Store bagels:
I have an avocado bagel with arugula and a fried egg most mornings because who doesn’t love a breakfast bagel sandwich! Having it on a fresh bakery bagel is a treat, most of the time we are using Dave’s Killer Bread Whole Wheat Bagels.
Now for one of the best bagel sandwich recipes.
What is in everything bagel seasoning?
Everything bagel topping is a mix of sesame seeds, poppy seeds, dried garlic, dried onion, and kosher salt.
Other delicious bagel sandwich ideas:
Because bagels are good any time of day here are some of our favorite bagel sandwiches ideas!
- avocado tuna salad bagel sandwich with peppery arugula
- breakfast bagel sandwich with a fried egg, cheese, and crispy bacon
- spinach artichoke bagel melts
- italian salami bagel sandwich
- creamy avocado and turkey bagel sandwich
- turkey with havarti or provolone cheese, roasted red bell pepper, and pesto mayo
- top with a scallion cream cheese spread, smoked salmon, and dill for a delicious salmon bagel
- top with a classic egg salad and sprinkle sprouts on top of the eggs