Are you a fan of the Cava chain’s delicious Harissa Honey Grilled Chicken? Us too! But guess what? We’ve figured out how to make our own copycat Cava bowls, complete with the juicy, spicy chicken that’s quickly become our favorite quick weeknight dinner. This will definitely be a staple during the kids upcoming soccer season!
Grilled Harissa Honey Chicken, a family favorite. Quick to prepare, it’s our go-to for homemade Cava-style bowls. Every bite, bursting with flavor.
The best part? Customizable toppings! From fresh veggies to spicy sauces, or creamy feta, everyone gets to craft their own perfect bowl. Dinner is an event, not just a meal. Next time you crave the unique taste of Cava, try our recipe. It’s a guaranteed hit! Transitioning from takeout to home cooking has never been so delicious.
The Magic of Harissa Honey Chicken
Our star player here is the Honey Harissa Chicken. Marinated with a vibrant blend of lemon juice, honey, and spicy Harissa paste, this boneless, skinless chicken thighs recipe is your ticket to tantalize those taste buds. It’s one our favorite easy proteins to prep for a busy week.
Supplies for Making Honey Harissa Chicken
These are the supplies we find helpful for making Grilled Harissa Honey Chicken.
- Grill or large skillet
- Meat thermometer
- Mason jar or small bowl (for mixing marinade)
- bowl or ziplock bag (for marinating chicken)
- Spatula or tongs (for flipping chicken)
- Aluminum foil (for resting chicken)
- Cutting board
- Chefs knife
Honey Harissa Grilled Chicken Ingredients:
- boneless skinless chicken thighs
- extra virgin olive oil
- lemon juice
- mild harissa paste
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
How to Make Honey Harissa Grilled Chicken
- Prepare the marinade: In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, harissa, lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper. If desired reserve some marinate to brush on the chicken just before serving.
- Marinate the chicken: Add the chicken thighs to a large bowl and pour the marinade over them. Toss to ensure all the chicken is evenly coated. Cover and place in the fridge while the grill heats up.
- Prepare the grill: When ready to cook, preheat your grill to medium-high heat. Oil the grill rack if necessary.
- Grill the chicken: Place the chicken on the grill, cover, and grill, flipping once. Continue grilling until well browned and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, which should take about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve: Brush the reserved sauce over both sides of the grilled chicken and transfer the chicken to a clean plate. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper if desired. Garnish with cilantro or scallions if using, and serve.
Enjoy this sweet and spicy honey harissa chicken, perfect for a backyard barbecue or a family dinner. The harissa gives it a great kick, while the honey provides a touch of sweetness that complements the chicken beautifully.
Building the Perfect Bowl
Now, let’s talk about constructing these flavorful bowls. Start with a base of lettuce and fluffy rice (we love using yellow rice, but brown rice is a great option, too). Add a handful of fire-roasted corn, some chopped red bell pepper, and thinly sliced red onions for a pop of color and crunch.
Fill a bowl with lettuce and your favorite rice. Drizzle your bowl with a bit of extra virgin olive oil and a scoop of Feta cheese. Top it all off with your honey harissa chicken pieces. Don’t forget a dollop of your favorite sauce – we’re partial to a cool, creamy tzatziki sauce, roasted red pepper hummus, or white sauce!
Meal Prep Masters
Here’s the best part – these bowls are not just a treat for your palate; they’re also a meal prep superstar. Cook a large batch of the chicken, chop some veggies, and you have lunches ready for the week! You’ll save a trip to Cava, some money, and your future self will thank you.
What is Harissa?
Harissa, a hot chili paste that hails from North Africa, is a blend of roasted red chiles, garlic cloves, caraway seeds, and warm spices. It takes the flavor of these bowls to the next level. If you can’t find it at your local grocery store, making your own Harissa paste is always an option or you can order it online! We get ours at Trader Joes!
How long does harissa last in the fridge?
Harissa, when stored properly, lasts a good while. Once opened store in the refrigerator for up to 6 weeks. However, always check for changes in smell or appearance. Transitioning it to the freezer? Up to 6 months. Enjoy your flavors!
Harissa Honey Chicken Stove Top Instructions
If grilling your chicken is not an option simply heat a large skillet to medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes per side.
Keep an eye on the internal temperature – it should read 165°F on a meat thermometer for perfectly cooked chicken.
Simple Ingredients, Incredible Flavors
At its heart, this recipe revolves around simple ingredients. Everything from the red chili peppers in the Harissa to the drizzle of honey and apple cider vinegar contributes to an unforgettable eating experience.
So go ahead, dive into the world of Mediterranean flavors with your homemade Cava Chicken Bowls. Enjoy it with a side of pita chips or a classic pita bread for the best results.
Who knows, this could become one of your favorite ways to enjoy chicken, right in the comfort of your own kitchen. Enjoy and happy cooking!