These Easy, Cava Style, Baked Pita Chips – you’re craving a snack that’s not just great-tasting, but also healthy. Maybe you’re a fan of Middle Eastern cuisines, maybe you just like to explore new flavors. In any case, I’ve got a delicious appetizer for you: homemade pita chips!
Not just any homemade chips, but chips inspired by one of my favorite things at Cava. This easy recipe allows you to make your own pita chips that are perfect for snacking, perfect for dips, and perfect for sharing.
Ingredients: Simple and Flavorful
One of the best things about making your own homemade pita chips is that you know exactly what’s going in them. Forget about store-bought chips, you’ll love the freshness and great flavor these homemade chips deliver.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2-3 rounds of pita bread, room temperature (whole wheat pita is a healthier option!)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Optional: garlic powder, onion powder, sesame seeds, and other dry seasoning to taste
- Optional: feta cheese, fresh dill, or lemon juice for serving
The key here is quality. Choose good olive oil, fresh pitas (pocket pitas work great), and control the amount of salt and seasonings according to your taste.
Directions: Your Guide to Crunchy, Golden Brown Pita Chips
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C). Line your prepared baking sheets with parchment paper (this is to avoid the chips from sticking). No worries, no affiliate links here – just my trusty kitchen advice!
- In a small bowl, combine your olive oil, salt, and your choice of dry seasoning. I like to add a bit of garlic powder and onion powder for an extra flavor punch.
- Brush both sides of the pita liberally with your seasoned oil. This ensures that every bite of your pita triangles will be full of flavor. If you’re wondering about the sides of the pita, yes, even those get some love!
- Cut each pita round into 8 triangles. Spread them out in a single layer on your prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 6-8 minutes per side, until they’re a beautiful golden brown. Be sure to keep a keen eye during this cooking time, you don’t want them too dark!
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. They will become even more crispy as they reach room temperature.
Air Fryer Version: Crispier, Faster, and Just as Delicious
For those who love their air fryer, don’t worry, I’ve got you covered! Making air fryer pita chips is easy and results in a particularly crispy chip.
Follow the same steps as above but instead of using a baking sheet, place your pita triangles in a single layer in your air fryer basket. Air fry at 375°F for 10-12 minutes, flipping halfway. Remember, air fryers can vary, so keep a close eye on them the first time around. As with the oven version, they’ll become crunchier as they cool down.
Storage: Keeping the Crunch Alive
Pita chips store well in an airtight container at room temperature for about 3-5 days. You may want to make smaller batches for the best flavor, but if you’re anything like me, they won’t last that long!
Serving Suggestions: The Perfect Compliments to Your Chips
Once you’ve mastered making your own pita chips, it’s time to enjoy them! They’re the perfect snack on their own, but if you want to level up, here are a few of my favorite dips:
- Garlic Hummus: Mix a large garlic clove, 1 can of chickpeas, 2 tbsp of lemon juice, and 2 tbsp of tahini in a blender until smooth. Add kosher salt and black pepper to taste.
- Tzatziki Sauce: Combine Greek yogurt, shredded cucumber, a splash of lemon juice, fresh dill, and a touch of garlic in a large bowl. It’s a cucumber sauce that will bring a cool contrast to the chips.
- Baba Ganoush: Roast an eggplant, then blend it with tahini, lemon juice, a small garlic clove, and salt. Top with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Red Pepper Hummus or Black Olive Tapenade: Store-bought or homemade, these dips offer robust flavors that complement the crispy chips.
Your homemade pita chips also pair well with Italian seasoning, kalamata olives, or even a simple sprinkle of feta cheese. Enjoy them next time you need a quick snack or a delicious party appetizer!
Remember, cooking is an adventure. Feel free to tweak this recipe and experiment with your favorite flavors. Before you know it, making your own pita chips will be a regular part of your cooking routine. Enjoy this healthier alternative to regular chips, and happy snacking!